Thursday 17 September 2015

so this is Kindergarten

A new chapter has begun.



Our Ruby has embarked upon a lifelong journey in education and it's wonderfully thrilling!  At the same time, however, I find myself feeling baffled - I have no idea what's going on inside that building!!  I drop her off in the morning and watch her walk down the sidewalk, all alone, backpack and lunch bag in tow.  Can she manage to get the door opened all by herself?  Does she look sad?  Is she sad?  Does she make it to her classroom on time?  What shoes does she wear inside?  Where is she eating her lunch?  Is she making friends?  Is she being respectful, listening and behaving?  I want a parent-teacher interview.  Heck, I want to attend school with her for a day!

It's always been hard to get information out of Ruby about her day's activities and these days our time is very limited after work/school/supper.  This is her official first full week as a Kindergartener and she's been out of sorts.... aka super freakin' cranky and unrecognizable at times.  Who is this little person having a meltdown because I turned the car "too quickly', the result being a drop of water fell on her dress?  Really Ruby?  Maybe next time I'll get out and push the car up the driveway. 

The past week has been full of emotions and I do empathize.  She must be exhausted.  I know I am that's why I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt.   I assume that her brain is being taxed more than she's used to; there's 20 new people to become familiar with at school and who knows how many other new people at her after-school program.  That really is a lot to absorb for an almost 5-year old.  But, with that said.... please snap out of it soon.  I want my Ruby back. 

Leo on the other hand,  seems to be adjusting to his new surroundings very well.  He's growing like a weed and seems tickedy-boo.  At three years old, he's still napping for 1.5 hours a day and gets to bed about 30 minutes later than Ruby does.  It takes him a while to wind down but as long as the wind down period is pleasant and sweet Leo is in the room, life is good. 

-L






No comments:

Post a Comment